Feb 12, 2016

5 reasons to become an au pair

3 days to go...

Learning new skills and discovering new things about yourself...
Before I came to Australia I hardly knew how to cook food, I had never driven on the "wrong side" of the road, changed a poo nappy, killed a deadly spider, surfed on the beach, hiked on the mountains, or slept in a hostel. Before I came to Australia I didn't like wine but now I could drink the whole bottle (rosé wine is my favourite!) just like that. Before I came to Australia I couldn't eat tacos, fish, tomatoes, peanuts because I didn't like them but that's history now! Even though I can't stand olives..... 
IMG_2424
Living in a new country, learning a new lifestyle, meeting new people...
I have lived my whole life in Finland, though I have been traveling since I was 3 months old but living in a different country, without your family or closest friends for over 6 months is a whole new different thing. But now I have made friends from many countries for example Germany, Sweden, France, US, Canada, Norway, some through floorball and some are just other au pairs or backpackers. Now I know how to make an "aussie barbie" (=barbeque) and now I know the meaning of chook, prezzy, thongs, nappies, barbie, BYO, op shop, maccas, cozzie and many more!
IMG_2741
A home away from home...
After au pairing in my current hostfamily for over 5 months, it's surprisingly weird going back home. It's like leaving a home to go back to a home. I just love when the kids treat me like a big sister and the family treats me as a family member. I feel like I am part of the family. That special feeling when the little ones come behind your door in the morning to see if you are still there. I will miss the times that I woke up to screaming kids way too early on a Sunday, I will miss the silly questions that I had to answer on our way to kindergarten or to the beach that's 15 mins walk away from the front door. I will miss the fun evenings and nights that I have spent lying on the couch, eating ice cream and laughing to a TV show or at funny moments with my hostparents. I feel like I have a second home and a second family for the rest of my life. I like this feeling. I know I will miss my aussie family so so sooo much! And now I have another reason to come back to Australia... ;-)
IMG_2426
Experience of a lifetime and memories you will never forget...
Photographing wild kangaroos in the backyard of a farm on a hazy morning, helicopter ride above beautiful Sydney, aussie barbecues, silly pictures with my hostkids, swims by the beach, Frozen themed birthday party, baby's first steps, Aria awards, aussie floorball, sunrise by the Three Sisters, counting stars in the middle of the night, amazing views, late nights in the city, eating kangaroo meat and drinking beer on a Wednesday by a campfire, drinking wine, beachdays with friends, watching the Bondi lifeguards in action, underwater videos, baking birthday cakes, selfies with Ed Sheeran..... The list could go on and on. Thousands of good laughs and couple times of tears but I could not be any happier about these past 6 months.
IMG_2756
Just do it...
If I didn't "take a risk" and leave my home, my family, my friends and my life behind, move 15 000 kilometers away from my hometown to a different country, without knowing anyone or pretty much anything about where I was going to end up doing what and with who. I would have never met these beautiful people that I can now call my friends, I would have never seen all the amazing places that I took photos from, I would never be this independence and confident about myself, I would have never been able to look my life from a different point of view, I would have never got this feeling that I am feeling now. I'm really proud of myself and what I decided to do six months ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment